BREAKING NEWS - Geneva Motor Show Cancelled! +VIDEO
GENEVA INTERNATIONAL MOTOR SHOW 2020 IS CANCELLED
GENEVA - February 28, 2020: The 90th edition of the GIMS, which was supposed to welcome the media from next Monday and the general public from 5 to 15 March 2020, will now finally not take place. This is a decision of the Federal Council of 28.02.2020 that no events with more than 1,000 people should take place in the next few days. The decision falls 3 days before the opening of the exhibition to the media. The organizers accept this decision: "We regret this situation, but the health of all participants is our and our exhibitors' top priority. This is a case of force majeure and a tremendous loss for the manufacturers who have invested massively in their presence in Geneva. However, we are convinced that they will understand this decision," said Maurice Turrettini, Chairman of the Foundation Board. We would like to warmly thank all those involved in the organisation of the 2020 edition of GIMS.
Geneva Auto Show Canceled After Swiss Government Bans Mass Events
The AIADA newsletter reported that organizers of the Geneva auto show said the event has been canceled after Swiss government banned gatherings of more than 1,000 people, reports Automotive News.
"We regret to announce the 2020 Geneva motor show will be canceled. This is force majeure," a spokesman for the Palexpo show venue said on Friday. Organizers said the show will not be held at a later date.
"The show cannot be postponed. It's not possible. It's too big. It's not feasible," the spokesman said.
Earlier on Friday Swiss Federal Health Minister Alain Berset announced that events involving more than 1,000 people were prohibited with immediate effect.
The Geneva show was due to start on Tuesday with a media day for new product debuts. Automakers and suppliers had already begun pulling back staff from the event after the virus became more widespread in Europe, with an outbreak paralyzing large parts of northern Italy, which borders Switzerland.