The Auto Channel
The Largest Independent Automotive Research Resource
The Largest Independent Automotive Research Resource
Official Website of the New Car Buyer

Earnhardt Released from Hospital

2 September 1997


KANNAPOLIS, NC - Seven-time NASCAR Winston Cup Champion Dale Earnhardt was 
released today from McLeod Regional Medical Center in Florence, SC after 
undergoing a battery of tests. 

Earnhardt was involved in a first-lap incident in Sunday's running of the 
Mountain Dew Southern 500 that left the 46-year-old Kannapolis, NC native 
dazed and confused. 

After being transferred to the McLeod Regional Medical Center, Earnhardt's 
apparent blackout became somewhat of a mystery to doctors. Earnhardt himself 
is still baffled. 

"I don't know what happened. I just don't know. I feel great now. They've run 
all kinds of tests on me, checked me out and I feel fine. I'm ready to go 
racing," he stated.

A number of tests were performed on Earnhardt prior to his release this 
afternoon. According to a hospital spokesman, the doctors could find nothing 
wrong. Dr. Joseph Healy, Jr., M.D., head of neurology, stated, "There are 
some additional tests that could be performed as a precaution on an 
outpatient basis."

Earnhardt, who was replaced by Mike Dillon in the GM Goodwrench Service Plus 
Chevrolet Monte Carlo on Sunday, was credited with 30th-place in the Mountain 
Dew Southern 500.

Earnhardt is grateful to maintain his streak of completing all events so far 
in the 1997 NASCAR Winston Cup season.

Earnhardt added, "Mike did a good job for us on Sunday. It had to be a little 
confusing for everyone involved but obviously cooler heads prevailed and we 
were able to maintain sixth in the points standings."

Earnhardt's biggest regret is that the incident prevented him from completing 
an annual tradition at a nearby racetrack.

"Actually I was supposed to be in Greenville, SC to sign autographs this 
morning. I want to apologize to all of those folks down there at the 
Greeville-Pickens Speedway. We were tyring to get through all of this red 
tape and get out of the hospital this morning. According to these doctors, 
we're going to come up a little short in that department. We're still waiting 
for a couple of tests to wrap up and we can go home. I guess it's just one 
more reason you never want to get sick. It's too time consuming. They said I 
was fine though, so I'm ready to get back to racing."

By Champion Sports Group