USRRC: Schroeder Wins Front Row Shootout for First Union at The Glen
22 August 1998WATKINS GLEN, N.Y. - Dorsey Schroeder, of Little Torch Key, Fla., earned his first career USRRC Can-Am Championship pole today winning the First Union Front Row Shootout for Sunday's First Union Six Hours of the Glen race at Watkins Glen International.
Schroeder, driving the No. 20 Goodyear/Safety Glow/300 Below Zero Riley & Scott Ford, turned a fast time of 1:39.171 (136.854 mph) around the 3.77-mile circuit to knock teammate James Weaver, of England, off the pole position for Sunday's six-hour endurance classic. Weaver finished second in the shootout after turning a lap of 1:39.882 (135.880 mph) in the No. 16 team car.
"We just finished a practice session right before the front-row shootout and were sitting in the pits, draining fuel throughout most of the session," said Schroeder. "I was getting fidgety in the car thinking I wasn't going to get out. I think that got me pumped-up to go fast. I only had three laps ^ one out and two fliers."
Both cars out of the Dyson Racing stable are locked in the front row for the First Union Six Hours of the Glen after the unique qualifying session for which Can-Am and GT1 class cars were eligible. The top-two times from the session, regardless of class, would be locked into the front two positions.
"This gives us a little extra time to get our other drivers some seat time before Sunday's race," said team owner and co-driver of the No. 20 car Rob Dyson. "Qualifying on the pole is like the icing on the cake. It's not real important in a race this long, but it's nice to start in the front."
Belgian Didier Theys in the No. 30 MOKART/Yokohama Ferrari 333 SP led the contingent of drivers who will need to re-qualify Saturday. The No. 38 Champion/Michelin/STP Porsche 911 GT1 of Thierry Boutsen led the GT1 cars and was fifth overall with a lap of 1:42.772 (132.059 mph).
WATKINS GLEN, N.Y. - Results from the First Union Front Row Shootout for USRRC Can-Am and GT1 Championship cars to set the front row for Sunday's First Union Six Hours of the Glen at Watkins Glen International, with position, car number in parenthesis, driver (s), hometown (s), class, car, time and speed in miles per hour. The first two cars are locked in for the grid -- all other cars must requalify Saturday. The driver who set the qualifying time is listed first.
1. (20), Dorsey Schroeder, Little Torch Key, Fla., Rob Dyson, Pleasant Valley, N.Y., John Paul.Jr., W. Palm Beach, Fla., CA, R&S Mk.III Ford, 1:39.171, 136.854.
2. (16), James Weaver, Wiltshire, England, Butch Leitzinger, State College, Pa., Elliott Forbes-Robinson, Sherrils Ford, N.C., CA, R&S Mk.III Ford, 1:39.882, 135.880.
3. (30), Didier Theys, Belgium, Gianpiero Moretti, Italy, Mauro Baldi, Monte Carlo Monaco, CA, Ferrari 333SP, 1:40.899, 134.510.
4. (39), Stephan Johansson, Sweden, David Murry, Atlanta, Ga., Hurley Haywood, Jacksonville, Fla., CA, R&S Mk.III Ford, 1:41.970, 133.098.
5. (38), Thierry Boutsen, Belgium, Bob Wollek, France, Ralf Kelleners, Germany, Rick Jones, GT1, Porsche 911GT1, 1:42.772, 132.059.
6. (4),Andy Wallace, Great Britain, David Brabham, Australia, GT1, Panoz GTR, 1:43.021, 131.740.
7. (88), Mike Davies, Deland, Fla., Bill Dollahite, Austin, Texas, CA, Ferrari 333SP, 1:43.063, 131.686.
8. (29), John Mirro, Bath, Pa., Sam Brown, Fairfield, Conn., Jacek Mucha, Canada, CA, R&S Mark III, 1:43.255, 131.441.
9. (36), Tom Kendall, Santa Monica, Calif., Jim Matthews, Warsaw, N.C., Barry Waddell, Evansville, Ind., CA, R&S Mk.III Ford, 1:43.463, 131.177.
10. (91), Stuart Hayner, Yorba Linda, Calif., Roger Schramm, Rockford, Ill., GT1, Chevrolet Camaro, 1:47.014, 126.824.
11. (95), Jeret Schroeder, Vineland, N.J., Tom Volk, Blissfield, Mich., Lyn St. James, Indianapolis, Ind., CA, Kudzu Chevrolet, 1:47.341, 126.438.
12. (2),Shane Lewis, Jupiter, Fla., Vic Rice, San Rafael, Calif., GT1,
13. (63),Jim Downing, Atlanta, Ga., Howard Katz, New York, N.Y., Rich Grupp, Atlanta, Ga., CA, Kudzu Mazda, 1:56.328, 116.670.
14. (8),Scott Schubot, West Palm Beach, Fla., Henry Camferdam, Indianapolis, Ind., David Besnard, Australia, CA, R&S Mk.III Ford, 1:57.587, 115.420.
15. (5),Raul Boesel, Brazil, Eric Bernard, France, GT1, Panoz GTR, 1:59.593, 113.484.