USRRC: Theys Paces Second Round Qualifying, Wallace Wins Second GT1 Pole
23 August 1998WATKINS GLEN, N.Y. - Belgian Didier Theys turned the fastest time in second-round qualifying for the USRRC First Union Six Hours of the Glen, and will start third Sunday at Watkins Glen International. Andy Wallace, John O'Steen and Bill Auberlen took the pole for GT1, GT2 and GT3 respectively.
Theys, driving the No. 30 MOKART/Yokohama Ferrari 333 SP with Gianpiero Moretti, of Italy, and Mauro Baldi, of Monaco, turned a lap of 1:40.569 (134.952 mph) and will start behind the No. 20 Goodyear/Safety Glow/300 Belo Zero Riley & Scott Fords of Dorsey Schroeder, John Paul Jr. and Rob Dyson and the No. 16 team car of Butch Leitzinger, Elliott Forbes-Robinson and James Weaver.
Wallace, of England, will line the No. 4 Visteon-Elan Natural Waters Panoz GTR up fourth with teammate Australian David Brabham ^ first in GT1 ^ with a lap of 1:42.098 (132.931 mph). Wallace broke his 1997 track record of 1:48.055 (125.602 mph). In all, four cars were under Wallace's 1997 record.
Auberlen, of Redondo Beach, Calif., will be joined by teammates Mark Simo, of Carlsbad, Calif., and Andy Pilgrim, of Cooper City, Fla., in the No. 10 Yokohama/Fina BMW M3 18th overall on the GT3 pole after his lap of 1:55.959 (117.041 mph). O'Steen, of Cincinnati, Ohio, will be joined by Larry Schumacher in the No. 99 Schumacher Racing Porsche 911 Turbo 19th overall on the GT2 pole after his lap of 1:56.296 (116.702 mph).
WATKINS GLEN, N.Y. - Final grid for the USRRC First Union Six Hours of the Glen Can-Am and GT Championship race at Watkins Glen International with starting position, car number in parenthesis, driver (s), hometown (s), class, car, time and speed in miles per hour.
1. (20), Dorsey Schroeder, Little Torch Key, Fla., Rob Dyson, Pleasant Valley, N.Y., John Paul Jr., W. Palm Beach, Fla., CA, R&S Mk. III Ford, 1:39.171, 136.854.
2. (16), James Weaver, Wiltshire, England, Butch Leitzinger, State College, Pa., Elliott Forbes-Robinson, Sherrils Ford, N.C., CA, R&S Mk. III Ford, 1:39.882, 135.880.
3. (30), Gianpiero Moretti, Italy, Didier Theys, Belgium, Mauro Baldi, Monte Carlo Monaco, CA, Ferrari 333SP, 1:40.569, 134.952.
4. (4), Andy Wallace, Great Britain, David Brabham, Australia, GT1, Panoz GTR, 1:42.098, 132.931.
5. (39), David Murry, Atlanta, Ga., Stephan Johansson, Sweden, Hurley Haywood, Jacksonville, Fla., CA, R&S Mk.III Ford, 1:42.472, 132.445.
6. (28), Jon B. Field, Dublin, Ohio, Rick Sutherland, San Jose, Calif., CA, R&S Mk. III Ford, 1:42.482, 132.433.
7. (38), Thierry Boutsen, Belgium, Bob Wollek, France, Ralf Kelleners, Germany, GT1, Porsche 911GT1, 1:42.572, 132.316.
8. (88), Bill Dollahite, Austin, Texas, Mike Davies, Deland, Fla., Claude Bourbanais, Montreal, Quebec, CA, Ferrari 333 SP, 1:42.781, 132.047.
9. (5), Raul Boesel, Brazil, Eric Bernard, France, GT1, Panoz GTR, 1:43.151, 131.574.
10. (36), Jim Matthews, Warsaw, N.C., Barry Waddell, Evansville, Ind., Tom Kendall, Santa Monica, Calif., CA, R&S Mk.III Ford, 1:43.159, 131.563.
11. (8), Scott Schubot, West Palm Beach, Fla., Henry Camferdam, Indianapolis, Ind., David Besnard, Australia, CA, R&S Mk.III Ford, 1:43.938, 130.577.
12. (95), Tom Volk, Blissfield, Mich., Jeret Schroeder, Vineland, N.J., Lyn St. James, Indianapolis, Ind., CA, Kudzu Chevy, 1:46.266, 127.717.
13. (29), John Mirro, Bath, Pa., Sam Brown, Fairfield, Conn., Jacek Mucha, Canada, CA, R&S Mark III, 1:46.552, 127.374.
14. (91), Stuart Hayner, Yorba Linda, Calif., Roger Schramm, Rockford, Ill., GT1, Chevy Camaro, 1:46.777, 127.106.
15. (63), Jim Downing, Atlanta, Ga., Howard Katz, New York, N.Y., Rich Grupp, Atlanta, Ga., CA, Kudzu Mazda, 1:49.445, 124.007.
16. (92), A.J. Smith, Vorhees, N.J., Joaquin DeSoto, Miami, Fla., CA, Kudzu Buick, 1:49.785, 123.623.
17. (2), Shane Lewis, Jupiter, Fla., Vic Rice, San Rafael, Calif., GT1, Mosler Raptor, 1:51.391, 121.841.
18. (10), Bill Auberlen, Redondo Beach, Fla., Mark Simo, Carlsbad, Calif., Andy Pilgrim, Cooper City, Fla., GT3, BMW M3, 1:55.959, 117.041.
19. (99), Larry Schumacher, Cincinnati, Ohio, John O'Steen, Cincinnati, Ohio, GT2, Porsche 911 GT2, 1:56.296, 116.702.
20. (23), Darryl Havens, Seattle, Wash., Cort Wagner, Santa Monica, Calif., Kelly Collins, Corona Delmar, Calif., GT3, Porsche 911 RSR, 1:57.294, 115.709.
21. (22), Darryl Havens, Seattle, Wash., Cort Wagner, Santa Monica, Calif., Kelly Collins, Corona Delmar, Calif., GT3, Porsche 911 RSR, 1:57.468, 115.537.
22. (6), Mark Duez, Belgium, Ross Bentley, Canada, Peter Cunningham, W. Bend, Wis., GT3, BMW M3, 1:57.986, 115.030.
23. (07), Danny Marshall, Danville, Va., Darren Law, Phoenix, Ariz., Terry Borcheller, Crystal River, Fla., GT3, Porsche 911 RSR, 1:58.481, 114.55.
24. (76), Peter Argetsinger, Weston, Fla., Richard Polldoria, Newington, Conn., Scott Peeler, Sandy, Utah, GT3, Porsche 911 RSR, 1:58.603, 114.432.
25. (86), Steve Marshall, Christianburg, Va., Sylvain Tremblay, Pompano Beach, Fla., GT3, Porsche 911 RSR, 2:01.196, 111.983.
26. (75), Cameron Worth, Lighthouse Pt., Fla., Scott Sansone, Coconut Creek, Fla., GT2, Mazda RX7, 2:02.840, 110.485.
27. (37), Jim Loftis, Arlington, Va., Bob Strange, Chaska, Minn., John Finger, Greenville, S.C., GT2, Porsche 968, 2:02.946, 110.389.
28. (25), Angelo Cilli, Steamboat Springs, Colo., Michael Peterson, Las Vegas, Nev., Dale White, Las Vegas, Nev., Trip Goolsby, Murfreesboro, Tenn., GT2, Porsche 911 RSR, 2:03.324, 110.051.
29. (98), Spencer Pumpelly, Springfield, Va., David Kicak, Syracuse, N.Y., Oma Kimbrough, Tyrone, Pa., GT3, Porsche 911, 2:04.451, 109.055.
30. (57), Reed Kryder, Canal Fulton, Ohio, Alistair Oag, Jamestown, N.Y., Steve Ahlgrim, Elmhurst, Ill., GT3, Nissan 240SX, 2:07.820, 106.180.
31. (33), Mike Weinberg, Nanuet, N.Y., Jim Machaelian, Long Beach, Calif., Steve McNeely, Hollywood, Calif., GT3, Pont. Firebird, no time.
32. (53), Tom Scheuren, Bedford, N.Y., Bob Jones, Pine Grove, Pa., Gerry Green, Somerset, N.J., GT1, Chevy Camaro, no time.